Sunday, February 05, 2006

Scottish Culture

I intented to back date this post to the 25th of January (something you can do on LJ) but I haven't found a way to do it. Also I would normally put a long post with pictures under a cut to save bandwidth for others (the users would only load the pics if they want) , but again I don't know if Blogger can do it.

As an introduction to Scotland here is some information x-posted from my own LJ from the 25th of January - Burn's Night. Burn's Night is a celebration of our most famous poet Robert Burns (25/1/1759 - 21/7/1796)

Derek: Ode to a Haggis - mp3 - Click here to hear
Gregor: Selkirk Grace
Malcolm: Toast to the Lassies
Kat: Toast to the Laddies
Gregor: Immortal Memory

The preparation
prep

Ode to a Haggis. What are the words again?
Ode

Haggis, Neeps and Tatties
Fud

Cranachan
cranachan

Lemon Shortbread
lemon

Chocolate Shortbread
chocolate

Feeding time at the zoo...
gang1

gang2

The Toast to the Lassies
Lassies

The Toast to the Laddies
Laddies

The Immortal Memory
Memory

My my, the red and white checked sofa really goes with your Irn Bru kilt
D

5 Comments:

Blogger sharon said...

Hi Kat,

I enjoyed surfing through your wedding pics when you posted the link on BaW 06 a few days ago.

A couple of the tartans are very close in design to the provincial tartans of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in Canada.

I've never been able to develop a taste for "the haggis" - but the sweets (short breads) are an entirely different thing.

Kindly,
Sharon

9:21 AM  
Blogger Chrissan said...

Hi Kat,
Please, bring these dishes to our webheads' picnic, please! Cranachan.... a dessert or a main course?
Hugs,
/Chrissan

9:25 AM  
Blogger SusNyrop said...

Hello sweet Kat,

what a party - men in kilt are very attractive indeed, especially when they are eating Haggis!! A peculiar dish I mostly only know from Donald Duck's Uncle Scrooge who has a Scottish background!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Sharon, I am glad you like the pictures. I have a terrible habit of taking my digital camera everywhere. I am actually relocating to Montreal this year and looking forward to the 'Scottish' connection.

Chrissan, Cranachan is a very calorific dessert. You can find a recipe here, yum! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/cranachan_66101.shtml

Sus I am glad you like the kilts. The fetching man in the orange kilt is my lovely husband.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Valeria said...

Hi Kat!
What a coincidence! This evening the topic of our English class was Scotland. I brought some extra materials for my students, some basic info about Scotland, festivals, among them Robert Burns Night. And I found a photo of Haggis in a book that I showed them. Now I've got all your photos to show so that they can see it is not only a 'bookish' kind of thing, but it is a live tradition today. I'll show them your photos in the next lesson and the URL of the recipe webpage seems also very useful.
Could you please tell me something about Hogmany? In Hungary New Year's Eve is also a big celebration.
I'm so pleased that you've put this material on your blog.
Regards
Valeria from Hungary

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home